Friday, August 19, 2011

If someone told me....



I started training for this triathlon in February on one cold afternoon. I walked into the YMCA with my bathing suit under my clothes, shuffling through the snow in my Uggs. There was a small group of us looking at each other nervously. We made our way to the pool where we were welcomed by Sue's smile, which made me feel a little more relaxed, seeing her familiar face and hearing her crack a few funny jokes.


We began our triathlon training that day by learning how to do the swim stroke. Little did I know, on this day seven months ago, I would be hooked.


Little did I know, I would be waking up at 5am to drive down to the YMCA and do lap after lap in the pool and be home before 6:30am with a full workout in.


And the least likely of it all, that I would be riding a bike up and down the trail. After never being able to ride a bike, I never thought I could do it.


But with the encouragement of my coach, Sue, and many other people in my life, I was able to do it and now am getting ready to do my first triathlon in about a week!


I am as ready as I am going to be and I am so glad I never gave up. I had doubts. I had days that I thought it was just crazy to think I could learn how to ride a bike when I was 33 years old. I thought, why didn't I just stick with running? No matter what my finishing time is next week, I am glad I did it. I taught my children that you can do anything, no matter how old you are. I taught myself not to fear anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment